Monday 16 October 2017

Halloween Chunkies - by Claudia

Hi, servus and welcome back! Claudia here to bring to you another Halloween themed project created with some of Calico Craft Parts' fabulous Halloween Wood Shapes!

I love Halloween and I love ATCs....but even more I love CHUNKY Halloween ATCs! lol

I created my chunkies from thick corrugated card (= packaging left overs that came with our new bed back in June, when we were busily renovating and switching rooms).

Creating the chunky ATCs was great fun - I always enjoy working by the typical Halloween colour scheme with bright greens, red, oranges and purple contrasting gloomy backgrounds...



Calico Craft Parts used:

- Pumpkin Head MDF Wood Shape 
- Ghoulish Monster MDF Wood Shape - Style 1
- Staggering Mummy MDF Wood Shape 
- Witch's Stripy Legs MDF Wood Shape
- Word Elemements - Horror & Halloween
- Sheet of Mini MDF Halloween Motifs - Style 3
- Halloween Wood Words





To create my ATCs I simply got out all my Halloween themed Calico Craft Parts and played around with different arrangements until I was content. (I then always take a picture....just in case I forget which arrangements I finally have decided on ;)


Using a palette knife I scraped DecoArt media black Gesso around the chunky corrugated card ATCs' sides and fronts.


While the Gesso was still wet, I scraped on white DecoArt media Gesso so the black and white mixed and created streaks. When you do that make sure you wipe off any excess from your palette knife before you dip it into your Gesso!!!! Otherwise you will contaminate the Gesso in the pots!


I repeated the same step with DecoArt Americana Neons "Thermal Green":


I set my ATCs aside to dry. In the meantime I dry brushed some heavy body white acrylic Gesso onto the Craft Parts I wanted to use. The white Gesso makes the MDF wood shapes less absorbant and also makes the colours used on them pop. 


Then I picked some of my favourite DecoArt media "Halloween" colours (Sap Green, Primary Magenta, Green Gold, Titan Buff, Dioxazine Purple, Quinacridone Magenta, Yellow Oxide) and painted the ghoul, pumpkin, mummy and witch's legs using a fine tip soft brush.


While the painted craft parts were drying I stamped some crackles onto the ATCs using black archival stamping ink. 


I created drip lines with a mix of DecoArt media Quinacridone Red and Quinacridone Magenta. To help the colours run and spread I sprayed on some water from a bottle. 


Then I added a wash of black DecoArt media Antiquing Cream to the ATCs and the painted craft parts (sorry, I obviously forgot to  take a picture of that step). I only wiped back a little here and there once the Antiquing Cream had dried. 

I sprinkled on red and black DecoArt media Mister paint as a finishing touch for my ATC backgrounds.




The words were glued on with matte DecoArt Decou-Page and then painted with DecoArt Americana Neons (Fiery Red, Thermal Green, Torrid Orange and Scorching Yellow). I added two coats of the Neons paints to make them really pop.


Done! 


I hope you like my ATCs! I really had a lot of fun creating them (and a happy mess on my crafting desk...lol).

There are a lot more fantastic Halloween Wood Shapes to be discovered at the Calico Craft Parts online shop! Check them out by clicking HERE...and then get yourself the ones you like best and create your own Halloween ATCs! Have fun!

Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx



6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous, Halloween idea! These chunkies look great and very creepy indeed! Happy Halloween! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I have never seen chunkies before. I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia,
    these chunkies are outta this world so cool! Love your coloricious backgrounds and those Calico parts are just fab! Great makes!!
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the lovely comments, Julie Ann, Deb and Jackie! So glad you like my chunkies so much! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow loving these! The paint work is really fabulous! I am defo going to give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kat! Can't wait to see yours! xxx

      Delete